Friday, January 6, 2012

Geocaching in the Past

For me, one of the best things about geocaching is going to places that highlight buildings from the 1800's.  Yesterday we did 9 geocaches, and several of them took us to historic locations in DuPage County, Illinois.

The first one was named "A Pretty Good Walk" and took us to this log cabin named the Korthauer Log House, built around 1844.  Unfortunately it wasn't open but we did walk around it before heading down this trail in the woods to our first cache of the day.....





The 2nd cache we found was hidden here.  Where do you think it's hidden?


The cache I really enjoyed was "Churchville Cemetery - Illinois Spirit Quest."  It was a 2 stage multi cache that began in Churchville cemetery.  We had to find a specific grave marker and get some information off of it.


I love to wander around these old cemeteries and read the markers.  Some of them are so old that the writing is too faded to read any more.  A couple of them looked like they had been updated but check out the old dates on them.







Once we gathered the needed information and figured out our new co-ordinates, we headed to the final location a couple of blocks away.



We parked in the parking lot for the Fischer Farm and discovered a real gem of a historical location.  But that's a story for another day because I have to gather my notes and get all my pictures together before I tell you about it.

We ended our morning by stopping at Gene's and Jude's for hot dogs for lunch.  You can't beat a day like this!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love old buildings... and log cabins are so quintessentially American! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going with you geocaching...thanks for taking me along!! How many do you all have now?? I'm still at 6 or 8!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found 1798 geocaches as of today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very cool. I love visiting historical sites, especially old cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all have so much fun! If we were a few miles closer, you'd find me waiting at the curb to follow along on your adventures! Especially when history and cemeteries are involved.
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old grave markers too. What amazes me about geocaches are the diversity of the what & where's. Your folks look like they are having fun too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super post! I love history and everything about this adventure. Mom and Dad are looking great too! The weather has been wonderful for geocaching but I feel sorry for those poor folks who depend on the snow for a living, oh wait, you guys, uh....I mean the ski slopes and stuff here in the Poconos of North East PA. yah, that's the ticket.
    It will come I assure you, it will come and when it does I hope it snows about 3 inches every other day for two months!
    Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That day looked like fun! I love the log cabin and I love walking thru cemeteries! Old stones are so unique and interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Please leave a message because I love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...